Aspiration International Secondary School
Personal Data Protection Act
The word “You” or any derivation thereof, as used herein refers to the owner of the personal
data, which include both the student and the parent/legal guardian of the child.
Source Of Your Personal Data
Most, if not all, of your personal data, was obtained from you directly, either from the following sources or from any other information you provided and this may include:
• any enquiry form;
• various type of Application and/or Registration Forms;
• all other School and/or support services related Request Forms
• previous qualification related documents and/or certificates
• contact with the school through email, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger
In some instances, your personal data may have been obtained from external sources including, but not restricted to the following:
• from third parties such as previous educational institutions, law enforcement agencies and other government entities;
• third party service providers and any other future third parties in relation or incidental to the above;
• personal data which are available in the public domain;
• personal data which may be collected from cookies through the use of the School’s website
What Personal Data Do We Process?
The School needs to collect and process your child’s and your personal data for various academic, educational and administrative purposes. Generally, the personal data that we collect and process, include but is not restricted to:
• Name, Identification number (NRIC),
• Passport number,
• Contact numbers,
• Personal email address,
• Photo and images,
• Student’s Gender,
• Date of birth,
• Previous qualification,
• Parents’/guardian’s marital status,
• Emergency contact person(s) details,
• Billing-related information,
If the personal data is necessary to initiate any matter with the School, and you refuse to provide the personal data to the School, then the School will not be able to proceed further with your matter, which may hinder, for example, but not restricted to, the admission process.
Sensitive Personal Data
Some of the personal data that we collect and process may include what is defined as ‘sensitive personal data’ under the Act and these include, but not restricted to:
• records of misconduct and disciplinary action,
• records of a criminal offence,
• family court orders
Other sensitive data include, but not restricted to:
• Online group chats between the learners
• Communication between staff, parents, students through third parties (such as but not limited to, email, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger)
This sensitive information shall be treated carefully by the School and will only be used for specific purposes. It will not be released to a third party without your explicit consent unless it is necessary to protect your vital interests.
How Do We Use Our Personal Data?
The purpose for which personal data is collected and further processed includes, but not restricted to the following:
• To process an application for admission;
• To manage and respond to enquiries;
• To maintain students’ personal details, academic and non-academic records;
• To facilitate co-curricular related activities and other school events;
• To maintain a student/class register;
• To provide the relevant administrative support, counselling and pastoral services;
• To manage the use of facilities such as the library, laboratories and so on;
• To administer the graduation and alumni related events;
• To administer the tuition fee and other payment;
• To communicate with students and parents on any important announcements;
• To collect information for relevant local or international statutory authorities or exam
• To contact student’s next of kin in case of an emergency;
• To comply with any regulatory, audit or security-related requirements
• To pursue/collect any sums in arrears by our parents/guardians;
• To care for the medical needs of students;
• For all and any other ancillary purposes relating to our provision of service e.g., the supply of computers, iPads, other forms of telecommunications and technology
• Outreach, notifications, disseminating general information;
• Any other purposes related to the smooth running of the School;
• To process, manage and respond to, for example, events, contests and competitions the school is hosting.
Provision Of Information
The provision of all information requested for in the relevant forms of the School is mandatory unless specified otherwise, in enabling us to process your application/request and offer our services to you. Should you fail to provide the said information, the School may be unable to process your request and/or provide you with the relevant services.
Disclosure Of Your Personal Data
AISS will keep your personal data confidential unless you have given the written consent to such disclosure or it is within the ambit of permitted disclosures under prevailing laws/guidelines. The School may disclose your information to the categories of third parties when relevant as listed below (not restricted to):
• The Ministry of Education, other relevant government departments/agencies, statutory authorities and industry regulators;
• Malaysian Immigration Department and its appointed agencies;
• Foreign embassies and their appointed agencies;
• The student’s sponsors including his/her parents/guardians;
• Third parties that provide the internships or attachment placements;
• Professional or accreditation bodies;
• Examination boards;
• Third parties appointed by AISS to provide services to the School such as auditors, lawyers, contractors, printing companies, travel agencies, training organiser and insurance companies;
• Other institutions or companies such as MoneyTree, Jass and school2me.
Right To Access And Data Subject’s Obligation
You have the right to access and correct your personal information held by the School under the Act. We will attempt to keep your records complete, accurate and up-to-date. If you have any reason to believe that your records with us are inaccurate, incomplete or not updated, please notify the School in a timely manner. If you wish to request for access to or to correct data held by the School or withdraw your consent to the data processing/use of your personal data by us, please forward your request to the School at: [email protected] AISS reserves the right to charge you an administrative fee for processing any data access request.
Although we only process your personal data for purposes as stated above, in the event that your personal data is being processed for other purposes (with your consent), you have the right to request us to stop such processing. You may exercise this right by contacting the School through the aforementioned. However, if you choose not to provide and/or fail to supply us with such personal data (and/or decide not to give us consent to process your personal data, including explicit consent for sensitive personal data), we will not be able to perform the contract of enrolment or process your application for enrolment with us.
Accordingly, if you decide not to provide the mandatory information to us, it may necessarily mean that the Contract of Enrolment may have to be terminated or that an offer of a place of enrolment will not be made. Any request to exercise your rights shall be administered as per the Act. Please be informed that pursuant to the Act, your request may be rejected in certain circumstances.
This Policy may be reviewed and amended from time to time. We will communicate such changes along with the updated Policy on the School website (www.aspirationis.edu.my), and/or other appropriate communication means as may be determined by Aspiration International Secondary School. Parents and students are advised to visit the School website on a regular basis to check for any updates and changes on this Notice.
Updated on 3 March 2020